Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 59 - My black thumb


I've murdered quite a few plants that I've adopted or been gifted since aquiring my own residence.  My mistakes have ranged from leaving an indoor plant outdoors, starvation and many other unknown causes. But the struggle must continue as the plants provide the vital function of greening our home and making it a more inviting place to be. The plant in this photo was a gift from Dani and resides in the study - although all is not well. I'd noticed some white spots on the leaves for about a week and they are spreading. Tonight while in the study the plant's plight caught my attention and I decided to formulate a triage plan. A search revealed that it is suffering from Mealy Bugs. Fortunately being upstairs it is isolated from the other plants and it turns out Pyrethrum is the weapon of choice to rectify the situation. So a visit to the local supermarket and those bugs' days will be numbered.

No comments:

Post a Comment