Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 24 - The mileage marathon


One thing I think most commuters love about school holidays is the lack of other commuters. With no activity on the building site and therefore little justification to drive to work I decided I would enjoy the marginally quieter roads for a couple more days anyway. Knowing that fuel was marginal when I left this morning, on the way home the situation appeared critical. As I left the car park, the limited fuel range warning sounded; I continued. I then missed my intended turn off at Rosehill - must have been busy avoiding an accident or something (for those non-Sydneysiders they seem to happen to at least a few poor souls most days on the M4). So I kept going, watching the gauge as the little bowser symbol glowed orange. By the time I reached Prospect things weren't looking good - down to the last divisor. I changed my optimistic plan to fill up at the petrol station near home, raised the white flag and pulled into the closest station. I managed to squeeze 69.24L in a 70L tank and by my dodgy calculations the remaining 760ml would have got me another 6.3km when google maps says I still had another 9.2km to go - lucky call!

3 comments:

  1. Very, very lucky - that'll learn yer! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised that I have never run out of fuel... I hate stopping to fill up and always put it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happened twice in the past - once when borrowing the Colt (which had a faulty gauge) and the other on the motorbike, but that has a reserve tank to get me to a station :-)

      Delete